Parent Access to Online Student Systems
CLASSROOM MANAGEMENT SYSTEMS
Many teachers are using one of the following Classroom Management Systems to organize the course files, assignments, and calendar. You can check with your child or her/his teacher to determine what system is used in each setting.
If your child’s teacher is using Canvas, you may log in as a parent and observe. This means you see exactly what your student sees, including calendars, documents, announcements, and discussions.
This will not allow you to interact as the student.
To observe a student in Canvas:
● Go to https://edmonds15.instructure.com/ to access the parent portal. In the upper right, click on “Parent of a Canvas user?”
● You will need your student’s login name (the beginning of her/his school email address
email@example.com) and login password. This will connect your student’s account to your new parent account.
● Bookmark the login page for future access: https://edmonds15.instructure.com/
To add a second student:
● Log in to your parent account.
● Under Account > Profile you will see Observing at the bottom of the left side menu.
● Click on Observing.
● Add another student to follow (+ Student). You will again need this (other) student’s login name and password.
If your child’s teacher is using Google Classroom, you will need to contact the teacher and give her/him an email address, requesting to be added as the guardian of a specific student in Classroom. Once you are added, you will receive email notifications of updates, assignments, and postings in the Google Classroom. You will not have access to see the contents of the Classroom other than through the email notifications.
STUDENT INFORMATION SYSTEMS
Edmonds School District uses Skyward for all student records. All teachers post grades here. You may view your student’s grades directly from the Skyward website (https://goo.gl/ouEFYp) or app on your personal device. Skyward may be used for more than just grades. You can update contact information, pay fees & fines, add funds to a lunch account, and much more. You may also set up automatic email notifications for grades and attendance. To do this, log into Skyward; click in the top right corner on “My Account”; at the bottom of the page, look for “Email Notifications”; select the emails you wish to receive.
Parents, you have your own login and password separate from your student’s account. If you are not sure what it is, go to the Skyward Website and click on the link to retrieve your login information.
Parents and students are able to access the app from their mobile devices with their regular login information. Students have their own login.
HOME FILTERING AND MONITORING FOR CHROMEBOOKS
Securly Parent Portal
The district has enabled the Parent Portal for student Chromebooks. This service will send weekly reports of student Internet activity to your email, and allow you to view more detailed information on a website.
To sign-up for the service, fill out this form: http://tinyurl.com/edmondsportal
To enter the Parent Portal, simply click on the “view more” link, or the “sign up” link, at the bottom of your weekly email (once you receive it). You will be asked to check two boxes:
1. I understand that I may see potentially sensitive online content accessed by my child.
The Parent Portal contains two categories on the left from which you can choose:
1. Activity (shows a real time audit trail of your child’s online activity)
2. Flagged (shows posts made on Facebook, Twitter, and G+ that have been flagged by Securly)
There are also additional Parent Portal features coming soon:
● Settings (allows you to control content on the device at home only)
● Pause Button (to turn off Internet access during certain hours)
● Emergency notifications for disturbing activity
The district will be running information evenings on student Internet safety, which will cover the parent
portal in more detail. Further information on these events will be released soon.